Tomorrow is a monumental day in dating. It’s Sadie Hawkins Day which basically means that girls all around the globe are officially allowed to ask boys out (or ask them to marry them). This only happens once every four years, on February 29th. So, as you can imagine, it’s a kind of a big deal.
You’re probably wondering how this little tradition even came to be. Well, it all started way back in 1937. (For those of you who don’t know, that’s long before the invention of the cordless telephone or PT Cruisers or Bravo TV, or even Seinfeld!) Sadie Hawkins Day made its debut in Al Capp’s Li’l Abner strip on November 15, 1937. Sadie Hawkins was “the homeliest gal in the hills” who grew tired of waiting for the fellows to come a courtin’. Her father, Hekzebiah Hawkins, a prominent resident of Dogpatch, was even more worried about Sadie living at home for the rest of his life, so he decreed the first annual Sadie Hawkins Day, a foot race in which the unmarried gals pursued the town’s bachelors, with matrimony as the consequence.
So pretty much, we have the famed and ugly Sadie Hawkins (and her dad) to thank for this extraordinary day tomorrow in the dating world. It’s because of her unattractiveness that women and girls everywhere are encouraged to take the initiative in inviting the man or boy of their choice out on a date.
As you all know, asking a boy out on a date goes strictly against everything that Dean typically preaches about in her successful dating practice. I mean how many times have we heard Dean advise, “Under no circumstance should a girl ever ask a boy out, pay the bill on a first date, or hold the door open for him.” These are Dean’s dating rules that she is never shy about sharing with her loyal readers.
But what we have to remember is that with every rule, there can always be an exception. And tomorrow happens to be that exception. Poor, little, ugly Sadie paved the way for this movement to be possible. And Dean thinks that it would be shameful to Sadie, her dad, and to all of mankind for that matter if we simply chose to ignore this historic and significant event.
So tomorrow, Dean is highly encouraging single girls everywhere to ask out (or ask to marry) the boys of their dreams.
Dean knows that this is not an easy thing to do for most girls. I mean in today’s times, we’re certainly not about to go hosting a foot race for the purpose of scoring a man. Especially with all of the technology on our side these days, there are way more tactful ways to go about asking out the man of your dreams.
Dean has compiled a list of the top 5 ways for girls to ask boys out:
- Create a profile for your man on Match.com. Load several pictures of him and be sure to include his email address in the login information. Once his profile has been successfully created, send him a wink to let him know that you are interested. He’ll be sure to be surprised…in a good way!
- Update your Facebook status to say that you and the man of your dreams are in a relationship. Trust me, when your man sees the bold initiative that you have taken for the world to see, he’ll have no choice but to confirm your pending relationship status. And in no time, you’ll turn that fake relationship status into a reality.
- Host a contest to date you. (Check out Dean’s example of a successful dating contest.) At the end of the day, contact the man of your dreams to let him know that he won the grand prize; a date with you. Even if he never entered the contest, letting him know that he is the winner will surely make you both lucky in the end.
- Hire one of those fancy planes that do messaging in the sky, “skytyping“. For a completely unreasonable price, have a plane fly above his home and type, “Will you go out with me?” in the sky. At the end of the day, if he does agree to go out with you, can we really put a price tag on love?
- Write a blog post about the five best ways for a girl to ask out the man of her dreams. After you have published the post, send your dream date a link to your blog. In no time at all, he’ll begin to wonder if the blog post was intended for him. If he seems really excited about it, tell him that it was indeed written for him. However, if he seems somewhat repulsed or disturbed by the gesture, you can always lie to him and tell him that it was meant for someone else. It’s a really safe way to express your true feelings without the risk of getting hurt or humiliated.
So to all of you Single Sadie’s out there, if you like it, tomorrow’s your day to put a ring on it. Lock it down and make Dean proud!